In the South East of Australia we get an influx of the Eastern Rock Lobster in the winter months. These are rated as one of the best eating crustaceans in the world. Even near a large population like Sydney you can still catch your limit (albeit small) quite easily.
I have been a bit lazy this season. Whether it has been a freezer full of game meat compliments of a productive hunting season, or just not too keen to brave the cold water I had yet to catch any. From all reports it has been a pretty slow start. Lots of small crays to sort through to get the legal ones. I jumped in last night on dusk and caught a nice sized bug. The other two were too small. One was enough and I knew my wife would be happy with something different.
She cooked it tonight and this is how she did it.
Cat’s Cray Linguine
1. First the cray was steamed for 8 minutes. I prefer it this way. Nothing is watered down. If you want to boil them make sure it is in salt water.
2/. While your cray is steaming thinly slice a clove of garlic, 1 1/2 tablespoons of continental parsley and 1 birdseye chilli.
3. Boil and drain the linguine as per packet instructions. We used half a pack for the one cray and it was perfect.
4. Heat some olive oil in pan on medium heat and add your sliced garlic.
5. Leave for a few minutes before you add 1/4 of a cup of white wine.
6. Reduce the white wine for a few minutes and add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest and salt and pepper to taste.
7. Toss through the pasta, sliced cray tail and add the parsley. Add more olive oil if needed.
8. Serve immediately with your fave salad.
* Note: All measurements are approximate only. Cat likes to cook by feel and taste, so I recommend you do the same 🙂
Nice simple clean flavours that make the Cray the star of the dish but complimenting it with the other ingredients. I forgot how tasty cray is and will be endeavouring to get in and grab some a bit more often this year. With crays also come other delicacies like Sea Urchin and Abalone. Keep and eye out for these as they will be appearing on here soon.